•The scriptures are clear on our responsibilities to our environment as children of God, geographical location and our country as a whole. Matt.5:13-16 ‘We are the light of the world.
•A closer look at the numbers of believers and local assemblies in Nigeria does not reflect in our structure of governance and this shows that what is popular in Nigeria is a religious expression of Christianity not the true church.
•The believers the church produce is a far cry from what is in the word of God or how do you explain millions of people flocking our religious gathering yet. Greed corruption, nepotism, injustice, impunity etc are on the rise.
•Unfortunately most of these leaders attend our meetings some are elders and even pastors, Prov. 3:1-8, King Lemuel’s advice. •I want to say God still feels concerned about this people, he wants men to do what is right and turn from their evil ways.
•He still sends his servants to speak the truth to those in authority. •Jonah.1:1-2, NKJV- God warns the people •Jonah.3:5-10, NKJV
• The church leaders as well as believers have the responsibility to speak about the ills in our society making reference to the word of God, and as long as they keep quiet the political leaders will think they are doing the right thing, and it communicates support for the wrong things they are doing.
•Luke.12:47-48 -Servant who did not do what his master asked. •This is the time every believer needs to be strong and fight for what is right (do the right thing).
•This land needs healing •A lot of atrocities are going on in Nigeria bloodshed, injustice corruption, •Note Isaiah.58:1-11 NKJV VS 2. Psalm89: 14-15 justice and judgment, mercy and truth
•Strong’s definition: JusticeRight, moral or legal, equity, fairness •Judgement – means proper verdict •The Shepherds have their own portion of the blame and the believers as well.
• From Ezek.34:1-11, Pastor Andy spoke of this in His last message last week “CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST”, why God had to castigate the shepherds for not willing to do what is right, by their unwillingness to die and take the pain associated with Christ in Isaiah 56:7-12,
• 1st PET 5:2, which is actually what makes us to be conformed to His image, Phil 2:5-, Heb 5:8. • Ezek.22:25-30 • Will the lord find me worthy to stand in the gap? Isaiah 59:19&16 Msg • 2Chro.7:14 NKJV
• If my people will:3 THINGS HERE TO MOTIVATE US 1. Call of God – if 2. Condition of our assemblies, communities and nation 3. God’s warning to his people. Deut.8:19-20:- judgment
•Rev 2:5:- a word to the church •Ezek.22:30-31
A CALL TO REPENTANCE •This call is for selected people 2Chro.7:14 •His reforms supersedes mathematics and economic reforms, it involves a special purpose 2Chro.6:33
Procedure: – to be humble – James.4:6, don’t let God do it • Therefore we need -Repentance -Prayer – Patriotism Psa.34:17-19 • One of our wicked ways is willful disobedience.
A CLOSER LOOK AT 2CHRO 7:14 STEPS TO A NEW BEGINNING FOR OUR LAND. 1. My people – Isaiah 63:14-19 2. Called by my name – 2Chro 33:12,13,16-19,2Chro 6:37-39, 3. Humble – Lev 26:40-41 confess their iniquity and that of their fathers, James 4:4-10,vs3.
4.Pray:- Jer 33:3,Paul Acts 9:11 5. Seek my face -To inquire, beg, ask, make inquisition, make request ,beseech, Deut 4:2930,ISH 55:6-7,LAM 3:40-41 6. Turn from their wicked ways: – Prov 28:13,Ish 55:7,Ish 59:20,Ezek 18:27-30
7. Will hear -2Chro 6:27,30,33,39 NASB 8. Heal their land – Jer 51:9,4&5 NLT/KJV Jer 33:6
• CONSEQUECIES Obedience • God will hear our prayer Isa.59:12, Psa.66:18 • God will forgive our sins • God will heal our land
Disobedience •Ezek.22:30-31 NKJV •Ezek.5:5-13
• This is the time to be strong in the lord and fight for what for what is right • A.W.TOWZER said “if we yearned after God as much as a cow yearns for her calf we would be the worshipping and effective believers God wants us to be,
•If we longed for God as a bride looked forward to the return of her husband we would be a far greater force to God than we are now”
• With what most of our churches are doing today, can we say we have not failed God? • Does Nigeria need economic reform or repentance, we need repentance, 2019 is around the corner, we need to get our priorities right.
•The most brilliant man that ruled in Israel, 1st kings.10:2324, built a temple church for God, impressed God so much with his humility and love for people 1Chro.10:12, 2Chr.6:1end. Vs 28 temple, 2Cro.7:6-14. Yet he failed God Eccl.2:1-11read msg and vs. 15
•God put us here to enforce his will, watch what you say Matt.12:34-37 NET •ISA.8:11-13NASB. Let only God be your fears •Lord rules in the affairs of men and He position leaders
•Do we have the right to expect more of our political leaders? Should legislators, executives and judges be held to higher standard than mere pragmatism?
•Almost every office holder in the land embarks upon his service by swearing to serve the people so help me God.
•If they are going to use God’s name we should hold them to it •2nd Chro 19:7, no injustice with God. •His requirement:- Deut. 16:18-20 – righteous judgment
• Govern as unto the lord 2nd Chro.19:4-7, talks about Jehosaphat’s appointment of leaders -Walk with the lord -Fear the lord- He watches over the affairs of nation Psa.33:10-12 -Be careful in all they do
•Rom.13:1-4 msg reads:- rulers do not bear the sword in vain (should be a terror to evil) is that the case in Nigeria? -Amos.5:15 -Rom.12:9 -Heb.1:9
•Jer.1:17&18 –note need to speak, 1pet.3:12,v13-14 NASB •Other ills •We need genuine repentance and a change of our ways.
CASE STUDY • King Manasseh • GOD is angry at sin and disobedience, and this has led to the fall of individuals and even great empires, sometimes humans don’t reflect on past events in history. • Hezekiah, the king of Judah, reigned in a turbulent time like our time,
But he loved God and was a very humble leader,2Kings 18,19,then20:2,15 spoke of his good works that God added to his years, but his son King Manasseh did evil in the sight of the Lord. He erected the altar of Baal, built the high places his father demolished, walked in disobedience to GOD.
•2Chro 33:1- Warning precedes destruction, there will always be warnings and pleading from the Lord before he vents His anger. The Lord spoke to Manasseh and his people but they paid no attention,
• So the Lord brought against them the army commander of Assyria who took Manasseh a prisoner, who bound him and took him to Babylon. • But GOD, being so merciful, when he cried out to God for help, humbled himself the Lord had compassion on him.
• People don’t want to listen to God’s word, lies, cheating, perverted sex, corruption, idolatory, just like the time of Manasseh and nobody is listening. • The church of GOD called to reach out to the world, is silent.
• No strong prayer meetings to stem the tide of the enemies • No strong bible studies and discipleship, no strong bible based evangelism • No Sunday schools, sin has crushed the church and denied the church the anointing to subdue the land.
• God is a God of second chance and HE is merciful • GENUINE REPENTANCE IS ALWAYS FOLLOWED WITH NEW LIFE AND PERSONALITY • “When God forgives He restores all things, and when genuine repentance takes place transformation of life takes place”.
• God forgives Manasseh and gave him a second chance; he acted on the opportunity immediately. • He restored back what he tore down. • He got rid of foreign gods and removed the images from the temple, as well as altars he built.
• He threw them out of the city and he commanded Judah to serve the LORD. • God will forgive and restore if our leaders repent but if they refuse it could be fatal. For GOD’S anger will descend. • A cry for help .JOEL 1:14 NASB